Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Progress after a Week of Waiting

The first week of our build went quickly.  They dug the hole, got the forms up for the footings and poured them.
Then we waited. And waited. And waited.

We went to the lot every day and the only changes we noticed were the chalk lines that showed up.  One day our floorplan showed up laminated.  Since the original one that's been up there is looking worse for the wear due to weather exposure, we think the lamination is a good idea.

Rob was getting impatient so he finally asked Jesse to call with an updated schedule and a reason for the delay.  Apparently, the BIG rain we had (? do you remember that BIG rain ?  we remember a brief storm move through...) slowed down the concrete work on other jobs which then impacted our job.

But we finally got the text saying our foundation forms were going in so we headed up the hill to see.

I am fascinated to see how the details fit together.  Because our house is built on a slope the footings were at different levels in the ground.  I was wondering how they would accomodate for the change of levels and this picture shows a good example of the foundation stepping down.  It was fun to see this little hole between the backyard and the garage, but I hope they do a good job filling it in.

This is just a good overall view from the back of the house showing all the parts and pieces that need to be organized and kept track of.
Out of this chaos will come a strong foundation.
We didn't actually see this truck work but it has a crane which is used for lifting the metal "baskets" in and out of the hole.  You can see the "baskets" in the image above - they hold the pieces that are used in creating the foundation forms.  I'm sure there is an official name for them, but all the subs were gone by the time we got there.
My gratuitous large truck picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment